Mineral makeup is all the rage these days, and for good reason!
What is Mineral Makeup?
Mineral makeup is a newer type of cosmetic that has gained popularity in recent years. It is made from finely ground minerals that are derived from rocks and minerals. These minerals are then combined with other ingredients, such as zinc oxide and titanium dioxide, to create a makeup that is free of preservatives, fragrances, oil, and other harsh chemicals.
There are many benefits of using mineral makeup, here are 7:
1. It's good for sensitive skin: Mineral makeup is non-comedogenic, meaning it will not clog pores or cause breakouts. It is also hypoallergenic and gentle on the skin, making it a good option for those with sensitive skin.
2. Provides natural SPF: Many mineral makeup products contain zinc oxide or titanium dioxide, which can provide natural sun protection (SPF) against the sun’s harmful UV rays.
3. It's long-lasting: Because mineral makeup is water-resistant, it tends to last longer on the skin than other types of foundation.
4. Gives skin a natural-looking finish: Mineral makeup provides light, medium or full coverage and gives the skin a natural-looking glow.
5. Is good for acne-prone skin: Mineral makeup can help to disguise blemishes and give the appearance of an even complexion. It can also help to absorb excess oil on the skin, which can help to reduce the appearance of acne breakouts.
6. Does not need to be reapplied often: Because mineral makeup lasts long on the skin, you won’t need to reapply it as often as you would other types of foundation . This can save time and money in the long run!
7. It's easy to apply: Mineral makeup is quick and easy to apply, making it ideal for busy mornings or last-minute touch-ups
How to Choose the Right Mineral Makeup
There are so many choices available when it comes to mineral makeup, that it can be hard to decide which one is right for you. Here are a few tips to help you choose the right mineral makeup for your skin type:
If you have dry skin, look for a foundation or powder that contains hydrating ingredients like glycerin or jojoba oil and likely a liquid foundation. Avoid products with drying alcohols like denatured alcohol, ethanol, and isopropyl alcohol.
If you have oily skin, look for a mineral powder that contains Mica, Zinc Oxide or treated pigments that can absorb excess oil. Avoid products with ingredients like coconut oil, olive oil, and shea butter, as they can actually make your skin oilier.
If you have sensitive skin, look for products that contain titanium dioxide or zinc oxide. These ingredients will help to soothe and protect your skin from irritants. Avoid products with bismuth oxychloride, as this can often cause irritation in people with sensitive skin.
How to Apply Mineral Makeup
When it comes to makeup, there are endless products and techniques that can be used to achieve different looks. Mineral makeup has become increasingly popular in recent years due to its natural ingredients and benefits for the skin. If you’re interested in trying mineral makeup, here’s a guide on how to apply it:
1. Start with a clean, moisturised face. Apply a small amount of liquid foundation or concealer if desired.
2. Then, using a clean makeup brush, dip it into the mineral powder and tap off any excess.
3. Buff the powder into your skin in circular motions, starting from the center of your face and working outwards.
4. Repeat until you’ve achieved the desired coverage. You can also layer on more powder for a fuller coverage.
5. Finish off by applying the rest of your desired makeup (e.g., mascara, blush, etc.) and enjoy your flawless complexion!
Tips for Getting the Most Out of Mineral Makeup
Mineral makeup can be a great choice for those with sensitive skin, as it generally doesn’t contain many of the irritating ingredients found in conventional makeup. If you’re thinking of making the switch to mineral makeup, here are a few tips to help you get the most out of it:
1. Choose the right formula:
If you have sensitive skin, look for mineral makeup that is specifically designed for sensitive skin. These formulas are usually free of common irritants like fragrance and preservatives.
2. Do a patch test:
Before using any new makeup product, it’s always a good idea to do a patch test first. This will help you determine if you’re allergic or sensitive to any of the ingredients in the product.
3. Use a brush:
4. Set your makeup:
Once you’ve applied your mineral makeup, be sure to set it with a setting powder. This will help your makeup stay in place all day long.
5. Remove your makeup properly:
When it’s time to take off your mineral makeup, be sure to use a gentle cleanser and avoid rubbing or scrubbing your skin too harshly.
The Bottom Line on Mineral Makeup
Mineral makeup has come a long way since its initial launch in the 1970s. Nowadays, mineral makeup is made with minerals that are actually good for your skin, like zinc oxide and titanium dioxide.
There are plenty of reasons to choose mineral makeup over traditional foundation, concealer, and powder.